Monday, August 26, 2013

The Island



I mentioned a while back that I was away and that I was headed to Vancouver Island - Well I wanted to share some of my adventures with you all!



We always bring Rikki along because she loves it! Lots of dogs, people, and quality time with her humans! First we had to get there!


So we packed up the car and off we went! Rikki loves car rides!

But she wasn't a huge fan of how much stuff we brought!


She really liked the ferry too and loved feeling the cooling wind through her ears!

Once on the island she help us set up tents!
Okay so maybe "help" is an overstatement...

The rest of the time her days consisted of.....

Waking up in the morning to play fetch!

 

Napping

Watching the Sunset

And being cute!

She also went swimming for the first time! It was the weirdest thing, we've been trying for two years to get her to swim to no avail. Then suddenly this year I just tossed the toy out and she started swimming! We were SO EXCITED! Now we can take her to beaches on the mainland more often now that we know she'll actually swim! Here is the video we took of her first swim! (unfortunately I never got a video of her swimming after that - all off leash- as my phone stopped working for some reason) But hope you enjoy watching her first swim! :) 



We also saw the RCMP Musical Ride, and it was really neat! Having ridden for 6 years I know how hard it can be to even do a small portion of show never mind the whole thing! And a few horses were being a little hot-headed during the show which was pretty funny - it really shows that these horses are not "push-button" guys and that it takes lots of work to keep them under control and listening during the performance when they have to get SO CLOSE to the other horses etc. 





The reason we go to the Island every year is for our family Reunion! Family comes from all over to congregate at the "Family Farm" to camp, eat, swim, talk and just enjoy being a family! I've been there every year since I was born - I haven't missed a single one! And I love that kind of tradition! Theres usually up to 100 people and 20 or so dogs, and everyone has a blast! 

Here are some pictures of the Farm! It is right on the water and we often fish and crab-trab, and our Uncle even takes us out on his boat to some of the smaller islands!








And last but not least one of my favorite parts about the island this year....

I got to see Izzy and her family! :D

You may remember my foster pup Chika (Now Izzy), who ended up having her hips not develop the way they should have and she had hip dysplasia and needed surgery! Well we helped raise enough money for one hip, and it's looking so good the vets think it's possible she may not need the other hip done! 
I was so happy to meet Troy, Sarah, Lily and dear Izzy again! It is so great to see her running around and playing with the other dogs not a worry in the world :) Here are some photos from that day! Look how big she is! :D








And I brought along a special treat for Rikki and Izzy to share! Bowser Beer! :D



Well that was my trip to the island! I had some great adventures, and Rikki did too! And I can't wait till next year! :D





No comments:

Post a Comment