Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sunshine!


I hadn't realized it had been so long since my last post! :O! They say time flies when you're having fun, and isn't that the truth!

This post will just be extra full of lots of new and exciting updates then :)

There has been MAJOR improvement on the puppy housetraining front!
There have only been two very small accidents in two days! They are just about housetrained and that's great since I feel like I've mopped up enough pee to fill a swimming pool! ;)

The pups LOVE the sunshine :) Scotty, however, decided that it is a bit warm for his taste and sleeps on the hardwood in front of an open window!

The pups and Scotty play well together! Sometimes I have to remind Scotty the puppies are much smaller then he is, and sometimes I have to remind the puppies that two on one isn't very fair!

We're going to be trimming the dogs' nails tonight as they are getting quite long! So we will see how the dogs do with that.


Scotty
He is doing great, and every time I jog with him I'm reminded of what a good walker/jogger he is! He runs just behind my left knee and knows to be off to the side a little so he can avoid feet. And he paces himself VERY well! I'm not the fastest jogger, but he just adjusted his stride to match mine. I even tested him and changed my speed repeatedly and he never missed a beat!
He is getting much better at the door, he only barks once at the door if he was surprised. Very easy to stop though, and you can even stop him with a verbal correction from the other side of the door! He is also getting much better with his excitement and only does not usually bark anymore.
I have been teaching him to "Heel" and he is doing remarkably well!
Also, I have been doing some mini obstacle courses with him on our walks and he is learning to pay extra attention to where I am moving and if I stop and snap my fingers he sits!

And as always he continues to be the cuddliest thing on four legs! He really is just a big teddy bear, and if you want to hug him all day long, I know he'd love it just as much as you would :)

Chika
Chika's ears are rising more every day! We have found Chika to be an "eater". We noticed on day one that she was more food motivated than Carlin, but now we know that transfers to other things as well! She has pretty well tasted every tree, bush, plant, and blade of grass in our backyard! She loves tearing up moss and carrying it around. I have never seen her try to eat it, she mostly just picks it up and tries to tear it apart and then Carlin comes over and takes it and they chase each other around the yard, totally forgetting about the moss.

Whoever adopts her would want to make sure their yard and house is totally puppy/dog friendly! No poisonous flowers in the garden (i.e tulips), child safe locks on cupboard that contain food or chemicals that are low enough for a dog to get into etc.

Originally Chika was more the more dominant of the two pups, now though she is showing her sweet side and is quicker to relax than Carlin.
She is doing well with 4 Commands so far! She looks up at her name (though if her name changes, I'm sure she will pick it up just as fast as she picked up "Chika"), she knows what "No." and "Off." mean, and she is now sitting on command with about a 90% accuracy!
Chika LOVES belly scratches!

Chika likes to pose for pictures!

Her ears are going up!


Carlin
Carlin's left ear is almost as high up as Chika's but his right is still lagging behind! He is beginning to move it a little more upwards the last couple days, but I cannot be sure at this point if he will have raised ears, wingtips, or one upright ear and one floppy ear. Carlin is not an eater, though he loves to take Chika's things to make her chase him and then drops them as he's running. He loves to play with Chika and Scotty, and he would definitely love a home with another dog who is very patient but playfull, however, he would do perfectly fine on his own! He is a very sweet dog and is a tad more reserved than Chika, but that has to do more with him being sensitive to body language. If you come at him too forward or from above him, he will back away, however if you squat down he will be next to you in seconds, and will lie down with you.

Carlin's personality has begun showing even more! He is not as patient as Chika. If he feels you are taking too long he will vocalize it, but he is not hard to correct, and is usually a calm guy.

He never wants to pose for pictures so he always moves at the last second!

Carlin Running!

Both the dogs are most likely going to be higher energy dogs, so will need a home willing to make sure they get the exercise they need. Carlin seems to be a bit higher energy than Chika, as he will easily play and run for ages, where as Chika is more content to run and play a little then she likes to just lay down and chew on a toy.

Here are some Playtime Pics!


We have been working on their food manners, as they tend to try to jump up during feeding time. They have both been learning that food only comes when they are relaxed and looking at me- not the food. Chika caught on the quickest to this and now when she sees food she relaxes and focuses on me not the food. Carlin will focus on me right away now, but still takes about 30 seconds to totally calm down. Also, when I'm in the kitchen cooking I make sure they give me a bubble of space for me and my food, they are catching on very quick to the rules of the house, and I know they'd adapt wonderfully to whatever rules and boundaries their adoptive families gave them :)

All three of them would love to find their forever home! They would all make wonderful additions to a new family :)

Will post more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment