Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Penny (Jaycee)'s update and Home made Dog Toys!

As you read with my last short post Jaycee has been adopted! And her lovely new name is Penny :)

Her new daddy Chris sent me some photos of her in her new home :) And you may have already seen them on the Turtle Gardens Blog but I thought I'd share them with you here as well! :)




What a sweetheart :) I miss her, but I know she is extremely happy in her new home :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And in other news...

Whenever I have a break between fosters I tend to still do LOTS of dog related things! Like making dog scrapbooks, cooking more doggy treats, and even making dog toys!

I made some really healthy dog cookies and posted the recipe on an older blog post - which you can reach by clicking here.

But as I was cleaning around the house I found our sock basket of old socks and lonely socks (without a pair) that have been sitting, neglected, in a basket for a long time now...

It is very obvious no one wears these socks any more - but to be sure I double checked with my Dad and sister, and they gave the okay to get rid of them.

There were A LOT of them!  And I added a couple old dishtowels, that were now more like rags, to the mix.



So now that I have the okay to get rid of them, great. But do I really want to throw away a whole bunch of old socks to just go fill up a landfill? Definitely not!
So then what do I do with them?

It was actually my boyfriend, Adam's, dog Digger (He's a golden retriever and his full name is Gold Digger! Too cute :P) that gave me the idea! He is always picking up socks and carrying them around when excited (as many retrievers do) but of course he is told to drop it because socks are for people not dogs.

So it got me thinking... what if he was not only allowed to have socks but play with them too!
So I Google'd "Dog toys made from old socks" and found a great site/idea!

This is the link: http://greenupgrader.com/7710/reuse-old-socks-diy-dog-toy/


There are so many great benefits to making your own dog toys:

  1. You save money by not purchasing as many expensive pet-store toys!
  2. Your dog loves them, and if he rips them up its okay!
  3. You're helping the environment by recycling!
  4. Does there really need to be a number 4??


Okay so I had decided - dog toys it is!
I liked how easy this idea was: Essentially you braid the old socks together to make a tougher chew toy! (See article for instructions)

So I began making them... and making them... and making them... I don't think I realized just how many socks I had... I ended up having to stop because of blisters!!

They turned out great! And I have tons now!


First one!
Tower of Sock Toys! (You can see the size with the remote as reference)

So many toys! And still more socks! 


So far Adam's dogs, Digger, and Rikki as well, have loved them! Digger carries his around the house! 

If they ever rip or untie, you can just retie them. 

Okay now to the rest of the socks...

I found another toy idea that I LOVE and so made a couple of those too...

They are Sock crunchy toys!
Okay yeah... that sounds gross! But I promise your dog will love them :)

All you need is 
- a water bottle
- a sock (or two or three for more durability)
- some dog food (optional)





















 The instructions are very simple:

If you want it to also make a shaking sound put dog food/treats inside the water bottle. (Must be dry inside or it will mould.)
Put water bottle inside a sock and knot it.  For more durability place it inside another sock and knot - repeating as many times as necessary for desired durability.

You're done!

And dogs that love crunching on water bottles will LOVE this :)



Well I hope you and your dog enjoy making these cool toys or other toys this summer!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
:)

The less we put in landfills the fewer landfills we need and then the more space we have for parks and things :)

Will post more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment